Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC)
From 1 January 2007 the Federal Government requires anyone working within the secure area of Geraldton Port to hold and display an identification card known as a Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC). The Mid West Ports Authority, as an Issuing Body for MSIC cards, is currently processing and issuing MSIC cards.
On 29 June 2010 the Office of Transport Security made amendments to the Maritime Transport and Offshore Facilities Security Regulations 2003 (the Regulations).
The Regulations commence in two phases:
Do I need an MSIC?
- Do you work on the wharves or onboard a ship?
- Do you need access to a maritime security zone to deliver or pick up cargo?
- Do you need access to a maritime security zone to provide goods or services?
- Do you need access to a maritime security zone more than once a year?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you need to apply for a MSIC.
All persons having a genuine work related reason to be in the maritime security zone will be required to apply for a MSIC.
The application can be processed through the Mid West Ports Authority or any other West Australian Issuing Body. This process will include an AusCheck Background Check and MWPA HSEQ Induction.
To apply, you need the following documents completed:
- F3.13c Maritime Security Identification Card Application Guide (2 pages)
- F3.13b Maritime Security Identification Card Application Form (2 pages)
- AusCheck Background Check Application (4 pages)
- F3.13a Application for Access to Mid West Ports Authority with MSIC from Another Issuing Body (1 Page)
- F3.13e MSIC Change of Details Form
- F3.13g MSIC Replacement Card Application
- Sample Employer Letter Contractor
Full payment will be required at the time of the interview either by cash, cheque or credit card (Visa or Master Card). No refund will be given.
- 2-year Standard MSIC cost $250 including GST
- 4-year Standard MSIC cost $400 including GST
- ASIC to an MSIC holder cost $125 including GST
- Replacement Card for any reason cost $70 including GST
Following your Application
If your application is successful, your new MSIC will be returned to the Mid West Ports Authority approximately four weeks after your application has been submitted – please do not contact us regarding the status of your application before this period expires. Each applicant will have to collect and sign for their individual card.
Safety & Security Induction
All MSIC applicants are required to complete the Mid West Ports Authority's Health, Safety, Security, Environment and Quality Induction prior to the issue of their card. The Induction can now only be completed online via MWPA's website www.midwestports.com.au under the Health, Safety, Environment and Quality tab. Allow around 30-40 minutes, depending on whether all questions are answered correctly first time. Inductions are valid for three years. The program is divided into a number of sections with questions at the end of each section. The inductee cannot move to the next section until all questions are answered correctly. If a question is answered incorrectly the section will replay. Once the induction is completed a link will be displayed that allows the induction card to be printed out and this will need to be retained by workers while on site.
To make an appointment for MSIC Application:
Phone: MWPA on (08) 9964 0582 or email email@example.com.
Please Note: MSIC Office Hours are now from 9am to 3pm.